The church stands in Žarėnai village (also called Latveliai), in a distance of 5 km to the west from Šakyna. The existing stone church was built in 1786-1790. In 1793, it was donated 28 acres of land. Vismaldai village belonged to the church back in 1806. The church is of a rectangular plan, with lateral sacristy, half-circular apse and a massive tower. The churchyard has been brick-lined. There is a cemetery there.